Thursday, August 6, 2009

Little Miss Muffet


Well, we don't sit on tuffets and we sure haven't had any curds and whey, but we do have a nice big spider that lives by the ceiling in our kitchen. We leave him there to eat all the smaller bugs for us. Sorry for the flash glare on his giant head....Anyways, note the smaller spider on the left. The smaller spider's body is about a third of an inch across, so you can do the math to figure out the size of the big guy. Don't know if this particular spider is edible or not, but there are plenty of other tarantulas around that get hunted from their holes in the forest, fried up, and eaten as travel snacks. Or if you prefer, there are also crickets, termites, and big beetles available. I have not yet indulged. And do not plan to.

3 comments:

Christine said...

yeah. okay. Now I get Rachel's comment. Eww. I sooooooo. .. would freak out with that.

Tina said...

Love your attitude towards your kitchen guest...I'm impressed. When I was in 6th grade I had a pet spider. I was doing a report for science about spiders and found a perfect example of one of the ones I was writing about WITH egg sac attached, and kept it. Not that I can remember the kind now...but it was great fun to watch the babies hatch, and not so much fun when Mom insisted I let them go. Outside. Looking back now, I'm completely surprised she even let me keep it in the first place.

Katie McMurdo said...

I'm impressed that you had a spider for a pet! Not sure I am ready for that. Ours has an egg sack of it's own now, which it carries around with it. We don't really want a whole family of giant spiders, so not sure what we'll do when it hatches...get 'em while they're small, I guess!